Thursday, January 02, 2014

Baseline Conceptual Models Commentary

I am providing a series of conceptual models on this blog that will present the basic concepts that any business will need to master.   This is a best effort on my part on my personal time and you will probably run across flaws.  It is also a living work in progress and may change from time to time when I have time.  These models are not meant be perfect, but are presented to enable people to quickly take and modify for their own business needs as each business is different.  These conceptual models will only show the entity and their relationships with a suggestion for the primary key.  No attributes are given as they are at a conceptual level and may vary depending on the business.   But in my opinion attributes are easy to add after this stage.

Model Type Definitions:
Conceptual Model: A normalized model that is designed to clearly define the business entities that a business understands and their relationships between them.   This is to be at a high level and should not cover low level domain entities.  They do not include attributes, but in this case I'm at least providing the suggested Primary Key.  I believe that understanding the definition of an entity is aided by understanding what makes up the Primary Key.  Conceptual models are targeted for business people as well as engineers.

Logical Model: A normalized model that takes a conceptual model down further to the low level domain entities as well as formally defining the Primary Keys and assigning attribution for each entity.  Logical models are targeted for engineers mostly as I find business people get overwhelmed.  I will not cover this territory in my models presented on this blog for now as details may vary greatly between companies.

Physical model A schema that satisfies the logical models specification in physical database.  The schema is configured and tuned specifically to the environment in which it is targeted for.  Physical models are targeted for engineers.  I will not cover this territory in my models presented on this blog as its too specific to technology.

Entity Box Legend:  Blue boxes are master entities.  Light colored boxes are relationship entities.  Box in box are subtype entities.  There really isn't much meaning other than that.  I felt it useful for me.  You can ignore if you desire.

Disclaimer:  Take these models and use them at your own risk. 

No comments: